Friday, August 3, 2012

August 27th

The twenty-seventh of this month in mine and Jason's first anniversary. My family so thoroughly loved our wedding they have requested over and over that we rent the camp at which it was held for an anniversary party. Without the hassle of the chairs, linens, dishes, etc., - I'd love to. That day was pure magic.

I had high hopes for romanticism on our first anniversary. You see, Jason has an incredible memory for dates while mine is awful, which may make me an odd historian, but so it goes. Every year Jason makes note of commemorative dates - first kiss, first official declaration of relationship, the day I proposed, and so on - that to my mind are lost to a muddy, somewhat non-linear concept of time. As far as I am concerned these events happened not on a particular date, but relative to various other milestones in our lives. We joke about how I am likely to constantly forget our anniversary. While we make these jokes, I hope that it is prepping him on some level for that eventuality and the disappointment it will bring. So at least for the first one, I wanted to do something great, some series of sweetnesses to account for our funny decade-long, interrupted but unavoidable trek to this point, something to celebrate the length, durability, and beginningness of us.

This year on August 27th, I will be quite unable to do anything at all. For our first anniversary, I will spend the day on an operating table.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, my heart is breaking for you. But there's this - you can think about it as the world doing you a favor because you're consolidating dates so you can more easily remember things: your anniversary, and the day that you beat cancer. I hope something amazing happens that day too, like you win the lottery. Let's just make August 27th full of amazing things you remember every year, to totally outweigh the sad and celebrate you and your loving husband! So much love, friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete